What is in Actimel?
Actimel is ‘the little bottle with a lot inside’ that contains yogurt with billions of L.casei live cultures in addition to vitamins B6 and D₃.
Why are these vitamins in the product?
Actimel offers a convenient way to consume vitamins B6 and D as it is designed to be taken on a daily basis and brings essential nutrients within a delicious yogurt drink.
Vitamin D and vitamin B6 have both been assessed by the European Food Standards Agency (EFSA) and been found to contribute to the normal function of the immune system. Our immune system helps to defend us from infection, it can be challenged by factors such as: stress, ageing and bad diet. We know that our customers care about their immune systems and staying healthy, and so they were a natural addition to Actimel.
Why is Vitamin D an important issue in the UK?
Some recent studies have shown that some people are not getting enough vitamin D from the sun and diet. The Dietary Reference Values for Vitamin D are currently being reviewed by The Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition who advise the Government and make recommendations, as it is recognised that people may not be getting enough Vitamin D.
The Department of Health also issue guidance to consume a daily vitamin D supplement for certain members of the population who are more at risk from deficiency including:
- All pregnant and breastfeeding women, especially teenagers and young women
- Young children under 5 years of age
- All people aged 65 years and over
- People who are not exposed to much sun, for example those who cover their skin for cultural reasons, who are housebound or confined indoors for long periods
- People from ethnic minorities who have darker skin, because their bodies are not able to produce as much vitamin D. Clinical deficiency has been most reported among children of African-Caribbean and South Asian origin