Mastitis is a painful inflammation of the breast that can result in a temperature, a red sore patch on your breast, and flu-like symptoms. It often happens when engorgement or a blocked duct is left untreated. It could also be the result of poor positioning, or it may be an infection resulting from bacteria entering the nipple openings.
- Continue to feed your baby, because by stopping, you may make it worse
- Go to bed and rest
- Get the baby’s positioning checked
- Offer frequent feeds to the baby, sore side first
- Use warmth and massage before a feed, and cold compresses afterwards to reduce swelling
- See your GP for antibiotics in case it is an infection. Self-help remedies may clear it up, but it is prudent to visit the doctor and have a prescription for antibiotics ready in case it doesn’t improve quickly