Days at the beach are a chance to spend quality time together and remind yourselves how much fun it is to play. For some of us it’s not only the kids who need a reminder of how to let their hair down…and turn off the phone! Here is some games for the beach to create some sun kissed childhood memories for them to enjoy for years to come.
Flip Flop Tag
This is the traditional game of tag with a beachside twist. In this game everyone has two lives in represented by flip flops which are stuffed down their trousers or skirt.
How to play
- Get the kids to put their shoes either down the backs of their trousers or skirts or tuck them securely underneath a belt. You need to ensure that each child has a reasonable amount of shoe sticking out of the top so that the other kids can grab it.
- Choose whose ‘it’ and whoever it is has to chase after the kids and try to pull a shoe out of the backs of their trousers, skirt or belt.
- Once a shoe is grabbed, these are then put at the side. A player becomes ‘it’ when both their shoes have been taken.
This is a beach friendly game of skittles played with sand filled recycled water bottles. To give it a go, all you need are nine empty plastic water bottles filled with sand with their lids screwed back on, and something round and heavy to be the ball.
How to play
First up, prepare your kit. Fill your nine bottles with equal amounts of sand and screw the lids back on. Get hold of a ball that is heavy enough to roll on the sand and knock the bottles down, otherwise go for a throwing beach stone – makes it a bit more like a coconut shy
than a game of skittles but still works.
- Set your nine skittles up so they form an equal triangle.
- Players then have two turns to roll or throw to see how many sand bottles they can knock down.
- The easiest way to score is a point for every sand bottle that’s knocked over.
You can read more games and ideas for holiday fun courtesy of Western & Oriental